8/16/12

Grampa Satterlee!

August 3rd has always been a very special day to me, as I shared my birthday just 24hrs later with a stubborn and gentle man I knew as "Grampa". Grampa died 15 years ago.  It broke all of our hearts.  It wasnt supposed to happen and there is an emptiness in all of us as we have moved forward and enjoyed moments of life we wish we could have shared with him. 

I dont make it up there often, but I do try and go.  Grampa is buried at a beautiful National cemetary here in Florida, and I love to quietly go up and talk to him.  Yes, I know, some people may find it strange that I actually talk to him.  Infact, I tell him all kinds of going ons.  All about his grandkids, his great grandkids, his kids, Gramma, dogs, God.  We have shared some good times up there just he and I.

This past trip though was even more special.  I brought my daughter with me.  She had no idea what was going on, or why I was kissing a stone, but it sure felt special to me.  Infact, her Great Gramma Claire went with us.  Grampa's Wife.  It was extrodinary for me to share in those brief few minutes.  Ella ran around in the grass, it was super quiet, no wind, sunny and hot.  Gramma and remembered how his leather skin and cigarette breathe always confused us kids, but comforted us at the same time.  We could always depend on Grampa's wisdom and strength.  His finger nail pressed into our forhead always reminding us to "think".  He always had our best in mind and loved our family with his whole heart.

I miss him.  I can probably speak for his other family too.  They miss him.  He was someone who is etched in my heart forever.  I cannot wait to see him in Heaven. 






4 comments:

  1. Very cool!! Beautiful pics and nice words.

    BEX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. So glad you were able to go; means a lot to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day to remember in more ways than one. He is at rest, most likely drinking coffee, sitting with his legs crossed, at a table. Yes there are many things to remember about him and hardly a day goes by that I don't think of something he said or did and I smile! LUV U ALLEN BLAINE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Rascal. Your pix and words created one of the top 10 best blog posts of all...make that top 5. Thanks...another Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive